Hot dogs are a type of sausage that originated in Germany. They were originally made from pork, beef, or veal, but today they are often made from a combination of these meats.
Today, hot dogs are popular around the world.
There are many different types of hot dogs, including bratwurst, bockwurst, frankfurter, weisswurst, kielbasa, Polish sausages, chorizo, Italian sausage, and others.
They are one of the staple foods for Americans, and a common thing served at sports games and other outdoor events.
So let’s say you’ve got some leftover hot dogs and you can’t think of what to do with them.
If you find yourself in this situation, then you should know that there are a lot of different options available to you!
In this article, we’re going to outline 13 of the best leftover hot dog recipes that we can find.
We’ve also included a short FAQ at the end to help answer any related questions you may have.
The first chili cheese dogs were created in the United States in the early 1900’s, and since then they’ve been an easy way to make the most out of hot dogs.
In short, they are basically hot dogs wrapped around a piece of bread topped with chili sauce and cheese.
It’s mostly an attempt to make classic hot dogs even more awesome!
The recipe we’ve selected here includes a simple list of ingredients. All you’re going to need at hand are hot dog buns, chili (be it canned or homemade leftovers) cheese, and hotdogs.
Put these together and bake them for a little while and you’re going to have a junk-food delight that will please anyone!
This is as simple as you can get, but a delicious recipe all the less. This can be prepped in less than 10 minutes and only takes an hour or so to cook.
Simply combine potatoes, and hot dogs, and throw in some salt, pepper, and spices and you’ll be on your way.
Add some vegetables on the side or simply use this as a side dish for something else you’re making!
Now if you’re making pizza and have leftover hot dogs at hand, then you can use them as an incredible topping that can really enhance your pizza experience.
This recipe uses a homemade pizza base, hot dogs, red onions, and a gorgeous American mustard swirl to create something packed with flavor!
Stuffed crusts are one of the big innervations to come to pizza over the last thirty years.
Whilst additional cheese is a popular choice, certain fast food chains have decided to use hotdog as a filling.
But what if we told you that you could make your own?
A word of warning – this is a more difficult recipe to make, so make sure to take your time in making this unique stuffed crust.
You can use this stuffed crust for any type of pizza you want, but we recommend something packed with meat!
How can you make the traditional hot dog even more awesome? That’s simple, make a pizza out of one!
This recipe involves making hot dog buns, adding hot dogs, then topping with tomato sauce, lots of cheese, and additional pepperoni if you’re looking for something extra.
This is a junk-food delight that is something familiar, whilst being a little different at the same time.
To move away from the junk food items on our list, we have a simple potato soup that uses hot dogs as its main source of protein.
One real benefit of this recipe is how simple it is to make.
Simply combine the ingredients and soon enough you’ll have a tasty comfort food that will warm you through cold winter nights.
What’s better than hot dogs? Hot dog tacos! This recipe mixes two completely different kinds of foods combined together to create something new.
This one takes a little bit of prep, and whilst you might not think that tacos and hot dogs go together, it’s worth trying out for a unique experience!
Looking to just add your hot dogs to something else? This recipe is more or less a basic form of fried rice, only with added hot dogs.
We recommend cutting your hot dogs up very small and scattering them around your fried rice so that you don’t get too large lumps that will interrupt the mostly Asian flavor.
Make sure to work with small vegetables and take care of the number of spices you’re using for subtle flavors.
This is a classic American comfort food that consists of two simple ingredients: frankfurter sausages and beans.
You can blend them together either on the stove or in a hot pot and once both are thoroughly heated you’ll have something tasty and enjoyable.
The main benefit of this meal is that it’s filling and extremely easy to make.
10. Toad In The Hole
Looking for a British classic? Whilst hotdogs aren’t always the go-to sausage for Toad In The Hole, they can still work quite well.
This recipe we’ve chosen uses more traditional sausages, but all you need to do is swap them out for hot dogs.
We recommend taking your time making the batter.
Whilst toad in the hole is very quick and easy to make, small mistakes with ratio when creating the batter can be the difference between brilliance and mediocrity.
Like our previous recipe, this doesn’t specify using hot dogs, but all you have to do is substitute the sausage for what you have at hand.
Sausage casserole is a dish that combines sausages and potatoes (see also ‘Potato Casseroles – 23 Of The Best Recipes On The Internet‘).
There are many variations of sausage casseroles (see also ‘20 Delicious Sausage Casseroles‘), including using different types of meat and vegetables.
The one we’ve picked here includes a series of hearty vegetables and is topped with bacon!
This is a strange mix of two different foods from different parts of the world but can be quite tasty if made correctly.
This recipe uses tomato as the sauce to bind them together, a series of different spices, and red bell peppers which as its main vegetable.
You can add additional vegetables like spinach too if you’d like to make it a little healthier.
This is the perfect recipe for mixing together a series of ingredients that you might have lying around your pantry.
It includes onions, carrots, potatoes, peppers, and leftover hot dogs as its main source of protein.
One of the real strengths of this recipe is just how easy it is to add additional ingredients, so add or remove at your leisure!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Do Hot Dogs Come From?
Hot dogs have origins in different parts of the world, we’re going to outline these for you below:
- Mexico: Hot dogs originated in Mexico, where they were first called chorizo de puerco (pork sausage).
- In the United States, hot dogs have been popular since the early 1900s. Today, hot dogs are sold at almost any fast food restaurant.
- Germany: In Germany, hot dogs are known as weisswurst (white sausage) and are often eaten with sauerkraut. Weisse Würste are made from pork, beef, veal, chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish.
- Austria: Austrian weisswurst is similar to German weisswurst (see also ‘Want Authentic German Cuisine? Try These 27 Recipes!‘), except that it is spiced with caraway seeds instead of garlic.
- Hungary: Hungarian weisswurst is made from beef, pork, or veal, and is seasoned with paprika and salt.
- Poland: Polish weisswurst (see also ‘13 Greatest Polish Sausage Recipes For Dinner‘) is a type of smoked sausage that is made from beef, mutton, or pork. Polish weisswurst is sometimes flavored with garlic, onion, or horseradish.
How Do I Cook Hot Dogs?
Now you should know first off that there are a lot of different sausages that are called ‘hot dogs’ and this is more of an umbrella term.
However, they are all fairly similar and we’re going to outline general cooking directions for these.
- Preparation: To prepare hot dogs, first cut open the package and remove the plastic wrap. Then, place the hot dog on a cutting board and slice off the top portion of the casing.
- Next, take a sharp knife and make several cuts down the length of the hot dog. Make sure not to cut all the way through the meat; just enough to separate the meat from the casing.
- After making these cuts, use a spoon to pull out any remaining pieces of casing.
- Cooking: Heat a skillet over high heat. Once heated, add about 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the hot dog and cook until browned on both sides. Remove the hot dog from the pan and set aside.
- Repeat steps 2-3 until all the hot dogs have been cooked. Serve hot dogs with desired toppings.
So there you have it! As you can see there are a lot of different things you can do with your leftover hot dogs.
With a little bit of time to prep and some imagination, you can incorporate them into a wide range of different, delicious dishes.
We hope that this article has given you some ideas for what to do with your leftover hot dogs and that you’re now on your way to making something great for yourself.
- 28 Fresh And Simple Tuna Dip Recipes That Will Knock Your Socks Off - January 19, 2023
- The 18 Best Captain Morgan Cocktails In The World - January 19, 2023
- 28 Easy And Simple Pork Stroganoff Recipes You NEED To Try - January 19, 2023